Sunday 3 April 2011

in the pub (cont.)

She poked her tongue out at him again and turned to Hazel. “So how was work?”

“Oh you know; tiring. It fills in time and gives me money so I shouldn’t complain.”

“Boss still giving you grief?”

“A bit. We weren’t too busy, so he had no reason to be stressed and get on my back. He keeps letting me come back so I must be doing something right. Anyway, how’s your night been?”

Alby bought over a glass, filled it up with beer from a jug and placed it in front of Hazel. He bent down and they embraced. “Cheers. Congratulations.”

“Hi-ya” Alby giggled and waved the compliment away with an effete flick of the wrist before turning and wandering off to a new conversation.

“The night’s been fine. Got here early and had a chat with your scientist about the past. It was nice. I don’t know if I’ve ever had a proper conversation with him. I mean we’ve bantered a lot, but never really talked of serious stuff. I can see why you like him.”

“Ha. Yeah. Once you get past the whole nerd thing he’s great.”

“You’re in looooove.”

“I don’t know about that…”

Pilar gasped. “You do! Hahaha!” she pointed at her mockingly.

“Shut up. You’ve made me blush.”

Pilar squealed with delight. “Let the mocking commence.”

“You can’t tell Marshall. It’s not true, but you can’t tell him.”

“I won’t tell him.” Her eyes twinkled with mischief.

“Or anyone else.”

“Not even Piers?”

“Especially not Piers.”

“I’ll tell Donna though.”

Hazel narrowed her eyes.

                                                        * * * * *

The perception of time unravelled across the night. By the time last drinks were called it felt to the gathered as though barely an hour had passed, and yet the memory of conversations and deeds would only be restored across the coming days, and the implications thereof would last for weeks until all details were adequately unpicked and untangled. Seats had been traded and conversations entered and exited with fluid motion until the borders of conversations could not be determined, and the focus of their attention for hours could have been any number of people or subjects. It was one of those glorious nights where all forget their weapons and take down their guard and interact with the purest lines of thought and intention and enlightenment looms large above the throng.

No comments:

Post a Comment