Thursday 7 July 2011

the last of the letters


Marshall, [Wed 23]
Tremors keep shaking the city, making getting anything done a bit of a tough ask. With each aftershock more damage is done, and existing damange is exacerbated. Awnings and verandahs and chimneys are collapsing, and more and more people are getting hurt. As I’m sure you’re aware the rescue effort at the cathedral and the collapsed building in the city is happening as fast as they safely can. It’s apparently a very difficult and dangerous job, as stuff keeps shifting with each new tremor. People are praying for the best, but expecting the worst. Firey’s, police and army personnel from all over the place are being flown into the city to help with the rescues and cleanup. They are (quite rightly) getting priority right now.
Engineers have also started to trickle in to start assessing the damage. Those that aren’t helping with the rescue effort are going from house to house figuring out whether people can move back into their houses or not. They haven’t reached our suburb yet, but some families have moved back in to their houses already. The school has been given the all clear, so we’ll be here until we’re given the all-clear. We expect that to happen either today or tomorrow. Until then, we cross our fingers and pray for those still in the rubble. There’s not much else we can do. We feel so pathetic sitting in the park while all this important work is being done.
I miss you terribly. I broke down and cried after we hung up earlier. The stress finally got to me. I went for a walk, but the wreckage all around did little to make me feel better. The word on the airport is that it’ll be open again for international flights from this afternoon. They’re apparently rescheduling everything, so I should expect an email or phone call letting me know when my flight is. I want to leave as soon as possible, but on the other hand I fell like I’ll be abandoning my family, leaving them stuck in the middle of this nightmare while I go back to my comfortable, easy-going lifestyle. I’ll talk it over with my parents tonight and make a decision about when to leave from there.
I look forward to talking to you again tonight. I’ll call after I’ve spoken with my parents and let you know what my plans are then.
Many hugs and kisses, Hazel


Marshall, [Wed 23]
Just a heads up, my flight has been scheduled for tomorrow morning at 6:40am Chch time. I’ll let you know whether I’ll be on it after I’ve talked it over with my parents. Dad has gone off to help a neighbour rebuild his verandah. He somehow managed to convince us all that at the moment he is better off working than sitting on his arse. It seems insane in hindsight to have let him go. Anyway, I’ll call after he’s got back.
Holy crap, it’s all so soon! I only just realised that. Pardon me while I freak out a bit.
Thinking of you, Hazel XXXX


Hazel, [Wed 23]
No worries. You know, maybe it would be a good idea to stay that extra day. Give you that time to help your folks get settled back into the house, say your goodbyes properly and all that. Now don’t try and turn that around into me not wanting you home- I absolutely can’t wait for you to return.
That is all. Marshall. X


Marshall, [Thurs 24]
Sorry I couldn’t give you a definitive answer when I called last night. Dad had run off again, to another friend’s house. So I didn’t get the chance to talk to him (and Mum) until this morning. It sort of forced my hand a bit, so I’ve inadvertantly decided to take your advice and postpone leaving until tomorrow morning. The flight regime is the same, just 24 hours later. So I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon! Are you still OK to pick me up from the airport?
I’m helping settle Mum and Dad back into the house today. We were given the all clear to go home yesterday evening, but chose to stay another night on the squeaky single mattresses instead. Don’t ask me why. Some things no longer make sense amongst all the chaos and the ruins. But anyway, today is the day.
So I’d better get stuck into it. I’ll talk to you later.
Love you, Hazel.

No comments:

Post a Comment